LOMBARD STREET SAN FRANCISCO HAS A TWIN! FIREBALL MALIBU VLOG

LOMBARD STREET SAN FRANCISCO HAS A TWIN! FIREBALL MALIBU VLOG – Fireball carves San Francisco onto Lombard Street! But did you know there are TWO CROOKED STREETS?

Lombard Street is an east–west street in San Francisco, California that is famous for a steep, one-block section with eight hairpin turns.

Stretching from The Presidio east to The Embarcadero (with a gap on Telegraph Hill), most of the street’s western segment is a major thoroughfare designated as part of U.S. Route 101.

The famous one-block section, claimed to be “the crookedest street in the world”, is located along the eastern segment in the Russian Hill neighborhood.

It is a major tourist attraction, receiving around two million visitors per year and up to 17,000 per day on busy summer weekends, as of 2015.[1]

The street was named after Lombard Street in Philadelphia by San Francisco surveyor Jasper O’Farrell.

Off to BOULDER COLORADO today for the Diecast Hall of Fame…

I’m outta here today until Wednesday to BOULDER COLORADO to visit the ppl of Hobbydb and The Diecast Hall of Fame.

Be sure to keep an eye on my IG account for shots and vids throughout this trip. Gonna be a blast!

Travel Playlist on Fireball Malibu Vlog…

Whether it’s San Francisco, Portland or Chicago, Fireball & Kathie are having a cool time and scoping cool cars! Where will they be headed for 2018? WATCH! 

NEW VLOGS are on the horizon!

STRANDED ON A CALIFORNIA DESERT ISLAND – FIREBALL MALIBU VLOG 727

STRANDED ON A CALIFORNIA DESERT ISLAND – FIREBALL MALIBU VLOG 727 – Fireball and Kathie head back to the Bu from San Francisco… and Fireball has some inspirational words.

CREEPY ABANDONED SECRET ARMY BASE – FIREBALL MALIBU VLOG 725

CREEPY ABANDONED SECRET ARMY BASE – FIREBALL MALIBU VLOG 725 – While in San Francisco, Fireball and Kathie come upon a Creepy Abandoned Secret Army Base near the Golden Gate Bridge. Maybe not so secret, but pretty frikkin’ awesome.

FORT SCOTT… This Endicott-era battery was completed and armed in 1900 with three 5-inch rapid fire guns mounted on balanced pillar mounts, which were designed to defend against mine sweepers and fast torpedo boats.

These guns had a range of seven miles and could be fired at the rate of up to thirty rounds per minute. Like most light artillery, these guns were loaded with ammunition cases similar to the cartridges used in infantry rifles.

The weight of one cartridge was nearly sixty pounds.

The three guns were dismounted in 1917 for service as field artillery during World War I.

In the original plans, this battery was to have four emplacements–but the No.1 gun pit, on the right, was never built.

The battery was constructed on the former site of Battery West and incorporated three of the old battery’s magazines for storage of non-explosive articles and to shelter the gun crews.

Origin of Name

Battery Boutelle was named in honor of Lieutenant Henry M. Boutelle, who was killed in action near Aliago, Philippine Islands in 1899.

MARINA MOTEL BEST KEPT SECRET IN SAN FRANCISCO – FIREBALL MALIBU VLOG 724

MARINA MOTEL BEST KEPT SECRET IN SAN FRANCISCO – FIREBALL MALIBU VLOG 724 – The Marina Motel is the Best Kept Secret in San Francisco and where Fireball and Kathie head for the Holidays. Plus… a Baby Shower.

Built in 1939 to celebrate the opening of the Golden Gate Bridge, the Marina Motel is considered by many of its guests to be “San Francisco’s Best Kept Secret”.

The motel was built by Henry Louis (aka: Lou) who was the son of a California Gold Rush miner.

Lou’s father came to San Francisco from Hannover, Germany in 1852 to “strike it rich” in the California Gold Rush Fields.

He made his claim near the town of Madera on the road towards Yosemite and named it “The Hannover Mine”.

As was common during the Gold Rush days, young Lou lived in San Francisco with his mother and three siblings during the school year while his father worked his gold mine in Madera all year round.

Madera was a several day horse and wagon ride away from San Francisco.

Working in the gold mine was hard work in all weather conditions with hot summer days and cold, wet winters.

Frequently gold miners got sick working in the damp mines all day and there were few legitimate doctors to be found.

Unfortunately, when Lou was nine years old, a messenger showed up at his house in San Francisco with the sad news that his father had caught Pneumonia and died.

Gold had been found in the Hannover mine but the gold vain had been lost just before Lou’s father death.

Many years later after the mine had been sold, the new owner re-discovered the vain under Lou’s mother’s vegetable garden.

With the sudden death of Lou’s father, Lou’s mother was alone with four children and could speak limited English.

Nine year old Lou dropped out of school to help support his family and became a “runner” for a San Francisco newspaper called the Call Bulletin.

In the days before cell phones or computers, the newspaper reporters would hand their story off to Lou so he could run it through the city to deliver it into the hands of the newspaper’s publisher.

A year later, Lou became an apprentice to a candy maker teaching him such useful skills as pulling taffy.

As Lou matured, he was able to talk some investors into opening up a Café and Bakery call the Buckley Café at the foot of Market Street along the Embarcadero waterfront.

There was no Bay Bridge in the early 1900’s so each arriving ferry boat filled his restaurant with customers.

The café burnt down in the 1906 Earthquake and Fire. When San Francisco got back on its feet years later there were so many new restaurants opening in the same area that they decided not to rebuild.

On to his next adventure, Lou opened up San Francisco first Ford dealership selling Model A’s and Motel T’s.

He would tell each customer you can have any color you want as long as it’s black.

In 1915, San Francisco wanted to show the world that it was back on its feet after its devastating 1906 Earthquake by hosting The Panama Pacific Exposition.

The Exposition was built on top of all the debris from the buildings that were destroyed in the earthquake and that was thrown into the wetlands on the northern most shore of San Francisco.

The nearby Palace of Fine Arts and its beautiful lake is the only relic that stands today from this 1915 Exposition.

471HP 2018 LEXUS LC 500 PLUS OAHU!! – FIREBALL MALIBU VLOG 685

471HP 2018 LEXUS LC 500 – FIREBALL MALIBU VLOG 685 – After watching Grafman do a photoshoot with the 471HP 2018 Lexus LC500, Fireball reveals Kathie in Oahu, accidentally teleports her home! Wups.

The Lexus LC 500 is a grand tourer/personal luxury car from Lexus, Toyota’s luxury division.

It is based on the 2012 LF-LC Concept, designed by Toyota Calty Design Research in Newport Beach, California.

It was developed under the program codename “950A” from 2011 to 2016, design work was transferred from Calty to Toyota Technical Centre in Aichi, Japan from January 2013, with a final production design freeze in the first half of 2014.

Haleʻiwa is a North Shore community and census-designated place (CDP) in the Waialua District of the island of Oʻahu, City and County of Honolulu.

Haleʻiwa is located on Waialua Bay, the mouth of Anahulu Stream (also known as Anahulu River).

A small boat harbor is located here, and the shore of the bay is surrounded by Haleʻiwa Beach Park (north side) and Haleʻiwa Aliʻi Beach Park (south side).

Further west from the center of town is Kaiaka State Recreation Area on Kiaka Point beside Kaiaka Bay.

As of the 2010 census, the CDP had a population of 3,970. In 1898 a businessman named Benjamin Dillingham opened a hotel in the North Shore area and named it Haleʻiwa.

In the Hawaiian language, hale means “house”, and the ʻiwa is a frigatebird.

He also built a railway line from Honolulu to Waialua along the west coast around Kaena Point, which opened the same year and ended in front of his hotel.

The railroad inaugurated a passenger train, the Haleiwa Limited, which took two hours for this trip.

This railroad was chartered as the Oahu Railway & Land Company. Hale’iwa was designated a State Historic, Cultural and Scenic District in 1984 by the City and County of Honolulu.

All new buildings must adhere to a design plan that reflects the territorial architecture of Hale’iwa’s earlier sugar industry period.

The town is home to 30 historic buildings featuring plantation architectural styles influenced by the Waialua Sugar Co.

Streets of San Francisco – FIREBALL MALIBU VLOG 201

Today’s Episode: Still in San Francisco, the sites include the Palace of Fine Arts, Skating in Union Square and lots of Cadillac Christmas Coffee!

VLOGEpisodeBanner201

VooDoo Doughnuts – FIREBALL MALIBU VLOG 76

This episode… Fireball & Kathie, while in Portland, hit the famous Voodoo Doughnuts and a Ghost Pizza joint.

VLOGBanner76

FIREBALL MALIBU VLOG 65 – Oregon Invades Malibu

This episode… Cleanup Time. Peanuts, Popcorn, Fireball, Kathie and the Dogs. Then Fireball gets a visit from Oregonian High School Graduates, Chris, Nick and Thor. Awesome.

VLOGBanner65